Ham, Cheddar and Chive Biscuits

What better way to use up leftover ham than in warm biscuits.   The perfect breakfast.  Biscuits filled with little cubes of ham, cheddar and chives.

Warm buttered biscuits

Country Biscuits
================
2 cups of flour
1 Tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening, lard, crisco or butter (I use butter)
1 cup of milk (cream) or buttermilk
if using buttermilk add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda)

Optional. Add a little sugar if you prefer sweet rather than savory.

Mix the flour with the baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening until it resembles coarse meal. Stir milk or cream in to flour mixture. Mix quickly with fork until dough comes together. Using hands gently pat the ingredients together. Do not over-handle. Pat out to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board. Cut with biscuit cutters and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes at 450°F.

If making cheese biscuits add the mustard and cayenne to the dry ingredients and add the cheese after the shortening has been cut into the flour.

Tip: An easy way to cut the butter into the flour is to use a box grater. The large side of the grater makes the perfect size pieces of butter.

Options:

You can use any favourite cheese. Gorgonzola and other blue cheeses are wonderful with the addition of black pepper. Cheddar cheese is good with chives or green onions. Sometimes I add dry mustard and cayenne pepper. Or bacon or ham.

1. Lori E says:

Uh oh, just had my husband on here and he is drooling over your site. I didn't think I would get my computer back.

2. Savoury, homemade and just beautiful! Served warm? Divine!

I would like one of those right now…they are gorgeous Ann!

4. Hi Ann,I would like to make these w/ cheese, would you say about 1 cup? Thanks,Stacey

Biscuit bountiful! These are gorgeous.

I was just looking over at tastspotting and I thought those biscuits looked familiar. Sure enough they brought me back here. I can't wait to see what's cooking for dinner tonight.

7. I thank you all for your comments. Lorie, These biscuits are so easy you should make your DH some for breakfast.Stacey, I never measure, but I'd guess that I used somewhere around 3/4 cup of grated cheddar. I grated it on the box grater so it was coarse not fine. Dana, Moe heard me tell Matt about your coddled eggs. I guess they will be on the breakfast menu around here one morning soon.

8. Christy says:

Beautiful biscuits! My husband would flip over these!

Oh, yay, my lucky day. I have a little leftover ham and some cheese in the fridge. These biscuits look heavenly and I'm making them for lunch to go with a nice bowl of soup.

10. Your biscuits are out of this world! As a true lover of both bacon & cheddar cheese, along with a great biscuit your recipe is pure joy. Definitely going to try these. Thanks

11. Zurin says:

these look amazingly good and the recipe is simple..add savoury n its perfect ! TQ so much for sharing….Love ur blog ..ill be back for more :))

12. Sarah says:

I am hopeless at making biscuits. I am going to try the box grater idea. It sounds like a great idea.http://allourfingersinthepie.blogspot.com

13. Sue says:

These look delicious and I can only imagine that combination of smells.Sue

Just made these biscuits with a little crunchy bottom too – wonderful!

Thanks for all the tips on making these biscuits. I am going to make some tomorrow.