All Day in the Kitchen

And loving every minute of it.

I spent almost all day in the kitchen today. Started out early this morning feeding my sourdough starter and making a biga. While that developed I kneaded up dough for a batch of bagels. The last batch of bagels came out of the oven at 11:00 am. Next , the biga went into a double batch of French bread dough. While the bread was rising I started dinner.

Thanks to Jain for the idea to make something with crepes. I decided to go with a mushroom and chicken filling. Because the crepe batter needs to rest for a couple of hours I made that up first and got it into the fridge. After the bread came out of the oven I started making the filling for the crepes. Sauted sliced mushrooms in olive oil and butter. Poached two chicken breasts in chicken broth. Used the chicken broth in the sauce that went over the finished crepes. The mushrooms and chicken were mixed in to a Bechamel sauce seasoned with garlic and fresh thyme.

I ended up with a stack of about 24 or so crepes.

And I figured if Jain could have crepes for dinner and for dessert so could I. Jain you are a bad influence.

I used some of the crepes to make a dessert that I hadn’t had in a long time. A wonderful little Mexican restaurant in Toronto use to serve this amazing dessert. Crepes with a Dulce De Leche and Goat cheese filling. I just happened to have some homemade Dulce De Leche in the fridge and some goat cheese.

1. Ann, if I needed dulce de leche, exactly how would I make that?? Everything looks sooo good. Isn\’t it great to have the day to putter around the kitchen?! I love that, too!

2. a quiet life says:

oh you totally killed me… your crepes… the combo, the pic… omg! they look fantastic! so glad you were in the kitchen all day, I NEEDED TO SEE THOSE!!!

3. A tour de force!!!Just so real and heartwarmingly appetizing Ann..Did the neighbours luck out again?

4. Jewel Sauls says:

Gorgeous photos! You are an artist! 😀 Jewel

Girl…I wish I were with you in the kitchen all day…What a beautiful feast!!!!

6. now YOU are my kind of cook…elegant, simply chic.adding you to my food blog faves.http://cityfarmercooks.blogspot.com

7. Lori, I posted the recipe for the Dulce De Leche for you today.Thank you Jain, CarolinaJewel and Linda for your kind words and encouragement.Monique, how did you know? I sent dinner over to our neighbors. And one of the Baguettes. Wonderful neighbours. We had dinner at their home Sunday night. A real feast of King Crab. City Farmer, thank you for visiting my blog. I like that \”Elegant and Simply chic\”. Beats the \”good home cooking\” that I use to describe my style.

8. Kathleen says:

Looks delicious..as always..

9. dana Moos says:

OMG what time is dinner?!!

That is pure decadence…. I love you!I'm a huge fan of the sweet/savoury combo, but I don't know if I'd have thought to cross cultures like that…. but damn it sounds delish.