Chicken and Dumplings Southern Style

I had a craving for chicken stew with Southern style dumplings.    Although I never let the weather dictate what I feel like eating, I thought I would take advantage of the evening still being chilly enough for this dish of comfort food.

This chicken recipe has been a favourite of mine since we lived in Grand Rapids.   A friend  originally from Alabama served her version of chicken and dumplings.   The “dumplings” were more like a noodle than what I knew dumplings to be.   It was love at first bite.

Unfortunately, this isn’t a dinner that photographs well.  You will have to take my word for it that it tastes much better than it looks.

Southern Style Dumplings
————————————–
2 cups flour
3 Tablespoons butter

3/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of baking powder
Milk

Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter.
Add enough milk to make a soft dough.
Knead for a minute until smooth and let sit for 1/2 hour.
Roll out dough to desired thickness.
Dough should be on the thin side.
Cut into 1/2 inch strips, 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.

Drop into boiling stew and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
or until noodles are cooked.

1. Memória says:

I don't allow the weather to dictate what I eat either. These dumplings sound scrumptious!!

2. Ann, every picture you take looks amazing!xoxo Pattie

3. Dragana says:

My hubby was asking for chicken and dumplings the other day. I'm going to have to try this one…it looks good and easy!

4. When I was a child my mother used to make chicken and dumplings using a mix. You have convinced me to give it a second chance.Thanks!Robin

5. Oh My…I'm going to have to try these noodles the next rainy day we get. I'm like you…I'm used to the fluffy dumplings but I've tried these type at Cracker Barrel and really liked them. You take such beautiful photo's Ann! Thank you for sharing with us…Maura:)

I can imagine how delicious your chicken and dumplings are. They are one of my favorite meals no matter what the weather is.

This looks so comforting Ann…it is going to be in the 90's here today but I would still adore a big bowl of this!

8. Barbara says:

My mother used to make dumplings with everything. She'd even make little egg drop dumplings for our chicken broth! But the best thing I remember is her veal stew with brandy… and those delicious little dumplings soaking up all that sauce.This reminds me of her. Thanks!

9. Becky says:

Ann, while your recipe is not the same as my family one, your dumplings look very similar. Ours are flat dumplings. I never even knew about fluffy, biscuit-type dumplings until I went off to college. When I was a little kid, my grandmother's chicken and dumplings were my favourite food in the world!Thanks for sharing. Now I'm wanting to go make some!

10. gld says:

I just have to comment on the dumplings. That is the closest to what Mom and Grandma and now I make.However, we don't use any baking powder, not even a pinch. We don't add fat either. I just boil the chicken, dip out a cup of broth with the chicken fat left on. I mix this about half with milk and add flour to make a very soft dough. Then roll out and proceed. They are a chewy thing without a hint of biscuit texture. Becky, I am wondering how you make yours. I have never every seen a recipe similar to our family's. We are originally from Tennessee and North Carolina so I supposed it was a Southern thing but then I see all these recipes using drop biscuits. I even love these cold, may prefer them that way actually.

11. Ann, I'm not sure that we've \”met\” even though I've been a \”lurker\” for a long time and truly enjoy every minute I spend here. This post brings back delicious memories of my southern childhood and being at my grandmother's table. Ah, chicken and dumplings–they're not just for Sundays!!Best,Bonnie