Brown Sugar and Maple Syrup Scones

I baked scones for breakfast  but with a slight twist on my regular scone recipe.   Brown sugar was substituted for the white and a splash or two of maple syrup was added in with the cream.  Finished with a maple syrup glaze.

Brown Sugar and Maple Syrup Scones
===================================================

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tbsp. cold butter
3/4  cup heavy cream
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
extra cream and sugar

Maple Syrup Glaze

1 tablespoon melted butter
1/8 cup of maple syrup
Powdered Sugar – Enough to make a glaze

Drizzle glaze over warm scones

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into mixture with pastry blender until it resembles a course meal. Add cream  and maple syrup to  dry ingredients. Mix lightly
with fork until mixture forms a  dough. Using hands gently pat the ingredients together.  Fold over once or twice or even three times if necessary.  Do not over-handle.

Roll into 7-inch round and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Place 1 inch apart on greased baking sheet; brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.

Tip:  An easy way to cut in the butter is to use a box grater. The large side of the grater makes the perfect size pieces of butter.

1. Kathleen says:

Ann, these sounds super yummy!

2. I LOVE scones and these look scrumptious!xoxo Pattie

3. Oh my gosh! I just noticed the tart on your sidebar! I just made one last night for today's book club meeting that looks almost identical (yours is prettier- I was falling asleep!). I must check that out!xoxo Pattie

4. Janine says:

I just love scones!! These sound lovely!!

5. Pam says:

They look fantastic! I have only made scones once and they were a disaster. There was no liquid in the recipe and I imagine that's why they were so bad. This recipe sounds like a keeper that I will try! Thanks!

6. Foodiewife says:

I keep forgetting about box graters! Duh. I use my food processor, in pulse mode of course. I'm having a scone craving lately. These looks dee-lish.

7. Jennifer says:

These look fantastic! I just love a good scone!

8. Kathy Walker says:

Oh I must try these! I love maple…give me a maple bar or maple candy and I am a happy camper. I know that I will love the scones!! Thank you for sharing.

9. Deana Sidney says:

I just love maple in anything… what a great scone recipe…thanks!

These look wonderful Ann…I must give them a try!

11. Patty says:

These look fantastic, I love the addition of the maple syrup drizzle on top, thanks for posting!

LUUUUVRE the idea of maple! With maple syrup season here, this would be perfect!

13. BumbleVee says:

I've been making maple syrup scones too! A friend gave me a lovely big bottle of maple syrup….. they are soooo yummy. I was just using plain syrup on top…but, will give the glaze a try….. thanks….

14. PinkWarmMama says:

Can anything be substituted for the heavy cream and still make a good scone? Thank you.

15. You can use just milk, buttermilk, or a combination of milk and yogurt. It will all make a good scone. I just like the richness of the cream.