Roasted Chicken

I roasted a chicken for dinner last night. It was huge.  It was just under 10 pounds.

Looked more like a small turkey  compared to the little three pound chickens I normally roast.

The chicken was given to us by a friend who raises meat birds.  It has been a while since I’ve seen such a large chicken.  Years ago when we lived in Toronto I use to buy  Capons at the St. Lawrence market that were around 8 to 9 pounds. I don’t remember one quite this large.

The chicken  was presalted on Monday morning and left covered in the fridge until  Tuesday night when it was uncovered  (in the fridge) and left to air dry overnight.

Roasted  in a 500°F oven for just under 90 minutes, and then left to rest for 20 minutes while the vegetables finished cooking.

The chicken was moist and delicious.
Served with mashed potatoes and gravy, Brussels sprouts and rutabaga.
I’ve blogged about both Pre-Salting and High Heat Roasting a number of times in the past.  You can find the instructions here:

I haven't tried pre-salting in this manner before, Ann. It produces a beautiful skin, one of my favorite parts I hate to say. Nothing is better than roasted chicken and mashed potatoes. My favorite comfort food any day.

2. Coach J says:

Looks fab. We're thinking about starting to buy our chickens from a local farm. Ever since we went pseudo vegetarian (which has been very difficult for a carnivore like me), the few times I have had meet from the store, I've gotten horribly sick. If we're doing meat, it's going to have to be as natural as possible, I think.

3. Kathaleeny says:

It's been so long since I've tasted a real homegrown chicken. Your photo almost brought the taste back to me. I know it must have been delicious. I'm a faithful reader, just don't post. Wonderful blog.

You chicken pics always send me!Yummmmmmmmmm……..L~xo

5. Great great pics!!Julia and her chickens came to mind:)

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a chicken that size! And it looks just perfectly cooked.

7. Barbara says:

That is a HUGE chicken! Found the pre-salting and high heat roasting info interesting. I've never done it, but certainly am willing to give it a try. Up until now, I pretty much stick with my mother's old recipe! Time for a change?