Classic Blueberry Pie

The last of the ten pounds of blueberries went into a pie. This is my favourite blueberry pie recipe. Another recipe from the Canadian Living collection.

I posted this recipe back in January. It has been a while so I’ll post it again.

Blueberry Tart/Pie
==================
I’ve made this recipe for years. I think it was from an early 1980’s Canadian Living Magazine.

4 cups fresh blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
milk, sugar
pastry for double crust

Line pie plate with pastry.

Mix together blueberries, 3/4 cup sugar, flour and cinnamom (if using) and melted butter, and lemon juice; pour into pie crust. Cover with pastry and cut a few slashes in top; or cut pastry into strips and prepare lattice top. Seal edges well and flute. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in 425°F oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 35o°F and bake about 40 minutes longer or until crust is golden.

Butter-Lard Pastry
==================
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup lard (or shortening- Crisco)
5 to 6 tablespoons of ice water

(note: if using for a sweet pie, add 1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar.)

Mix flour with salt, and cut in butter and lard. TIP: Use a box grater to grate the cold butter and shortening into the flour. This is my favourite method.

Another Option: Use a Food Processor to cut in the fat but then move the mixture to a bowl to add the water by hand). I like to do this by feel and you can’t do that by machine)

Put flour mixture in bowl and add water mixing with a fork until pastry comes together. Form in to a ball and cut in two pieces. Form each into a round flat disc and refrigerate for 1 hour.

1. Ann, that looks gorgeous. I love blueberry pie. I need to make one for my family next week!

2. Monica H says:

What a beautiful pie! I'm still drooling over your pancakes!

Ann, I feel totally impoverished as I do not have that luscious pie to indulge in right now!

4. Jennifer says:

GORGEOUS pie!! blueberries are among my favorite! 🙂

5. I've never been a huge fan of blueberries until this year, and so likewise I haven't been all that creative with them. However, my freezer is bursting with whole frozen blueberries and now I know just what to make! This looks divine!

Beautiful pie Ann….Yummmm……L~xo

Greetings from a visitor from Australia, looking for nice recipes to take back home and found this blueberry pie Awesome!!Best wishes.Tany Herrera

I think you made a slight mistake in your recipe. It calls for lemon juice, but you did not specify whether it goes into the berry mixture (which is what I just did) or with the milk and sugar on the crust. May want to check that out 😉

9. Jean, thank you. I made the correction. The lemon juice just gets added to the berries. Thanks again.~Ann