Dinner with Matt and Dana

Matt and Dana came up to visit yesterday.
I love when Matt comes home and Dana is able to come with him.
Dinner was  rib eye steaks, as per Matt’s request for something grilled.
with Parisenne Potatoes

Thankfully both Matt and Dana like their meat on the rare side.

For dessert I baked my favourite “Decadent” brownies
and served them warm topped with vanilla ice cream, and drenched in homemade Caramel Sauce.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures.

Decadent Brownies
============================
1 Cup butter
20 Ounces chocolate
1-1/2 Cups sugar
Pinch of salt
4 eggs
1 Cup flour
vanilla to taste
1 Cup toasted pecans/walnuts

(Optional:  use 3/4 cup brown and 3/4 cup white sugar)

Add a shot of espresso

Method One
Melt chocolate and butter in microwave bowl. Beat in sugar and salt. Beat in eggs add vanilla Mix in flour. Mix in pecans. Pour into rectangle cake pan that has been lined with tin foil and rubbed with butter. Bake in oven at 350 for approximately 30 minutes. Do not over bake. Should still be soft in the middle. Put into freezer immediately for 1 hour or until cold. Cut into 8 bars and wrap each in plastic wrap and freeze.

Method Two

Another Option.  Both methods are good and I use them interchangeably.

Melt butter and sugar together  over medium heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth.  Add the chocolate and stir until chocolate melts.  Continuing stirring until the mixture is smooth.

Add one egg at a time and mix until each is well incorporated before adding the next egg. Add vanilla (and espresso if using).

Stir in flour and salt and mix well.  Stir in the pecans or walnuts and pour into prepared pan.  Bkae in a 350 °F for approximately 30 minutes.  Do not over bake.  Brownies should be set in the middle but still
slightly soft.  Place immediately in the freezer.  When cold, remove and cut into bars.  Wrap each bar in plastic wrap  and store in the freezer.

1. I have a brownie recipe I've used for years, but this looks really interesting. I think I'll try this today- thank you!xoxo Pattie

2. Matt already adores you..I can only imagine how quickly Dana has become enamoured with you:) I like that title..Dinner with Matt and Dana..sounds like a movie or a book:)

3. I am sitting here pining for those brownies wondering how I can be the only one in my house who likes walnuts in their brownies. Yours look so yummy that i may need to make a split batch soon. Half for me with walnuts and half without for the 3 other people in my house ;-)-Robin

4. Pam says:

Your pics are always so great! It sounds like a delicious dinner and ribeye steaks are the best! I just can hardly wait until the grill is uncovered with snow and ready to use (and it gets a little warmer). Great post!

5. Marysol says:

Ann, I know how much you enjoy cooking for others, and it's particularly gratifying to cook for other foodies. Your dinner looks wonderful, and I have always loved the light texture of those potatoes!

You are the best Mom….who would not want to come home to dinner with you?…Fabulous welcome home meal. The steak is cooked to perfection!L~xo

7. Janine says:

Anything drenched in homemade caramel sauce cannot be bad!!

8. Allie and Pattie. What is different about this brownie recipe is the amount of chocolate. Many recipes call for just 4 ounces and this one has twenty.Thank you Monique.Pam, thankfully our weather is decent enough to grill year around. Actually though, even when I lived in Northern Ontario, I grilled year around. We just kept a path cleared to the grill. It did take longer to heat up when it dipped below -20°F.Thank you Sol.Linda, I know how much you love cooking for your son when he is home from College.Janine, ain't that the truth. LOL!!Ann

Here I sit, craving something sweeet, the only chocolate in the house is cocoa powder, and you put up that picture. Cruel. LOL! That steak is just perfect-looking. A rare steak, IMO, is even better than dessert. 🙂

I just want to sit here and stare longingly at your pictures…

11. gld says:

I have never been happy with the brownies I make for the Grands. I will be trying this one the next time they are down.Thank you for some great recipes.glenda

12. Sarah says:

Wonderful meal!

13. 2 Stews says:

Well, we are on the same page! Nothing says lovin' like chocolate brownies from Mom!I'm with you on the nuts…they have to have them. Great recipe, full of chocolate. I'll give this one a try next. Lucky Matt and Dana!