Welcome to our 5th Saturday Blog Showcase

I hope you will join Lori (of All that Splatters) and myself in participating in this week’s Saturday Blog Showcase.

If you would like to participate just:

1. Make a recipe from another blog on any day of the week. Create a link to that blog in your post.
  2. Add the Saturday Blog Showcase logo to your post.
  3. On Friday night or Saturday, link your post to Mister Linky.

This week I’m sharing a recipe for a Date and Walnut Loaf that I found on Kate in the Kitchen.  I did make a couple of minor adjustments.  I’ve posted the recipe below with the changes that I made, but you can find the original recipe  here on Kate’s Blog.
Rather than bake one large loaf I baked three small loaves.
 This is definitely something that I will be making often.
Wonderful served with a little cream cheese.

Date and Walnut Loaf

1 teaspoon baking soda
 1 teaspoon baking powder
 1 teaspoon salt
 2 teaspoons vanilla
 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted
 walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees F). Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan. (or three small loaf pans.

Combine the dates, baking soda and butter in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over them, stir and let stand until cool.

When the dates have cooled, stir in brown sugar, egg, sour cream and vanilla. Stir until well blended.  Mix together the flour,  baking powder, and salt; stir into the date mixture until just blended. Do not over mix. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.

If using mini loaf pans reduce baking time.

1. Hi Ann,Thanks for sharing this great recipe and for introducing Kate's blog to me.I have linked up to the \”party\” for the first time today-thank you for hosting this fun party and for having me!Best wishes for a wonderful weekend,Natasha.

2. Rettabug says:

We were BOTH baking up a storm this week, Ann!Yours looks like it turned out better than mine, though. 😦 I had a few *issues* LOLLovely, mouth watering photos!fondly,Rett

3. Kathryn says:

Your Date and Walnut Loaf sounds delicious – will have to try this some time. Thanks for sharing this with us.

4. Rita says:

I just spotted your blog! I am so impressed with your pictures, your recipes and you're Canadian!I just have to join you!Rita

I haven't made a date bread in ages because I hadn't found a good recipe. Well, after your recommendations, I am making this one. Love a really good date bread. My mouth is watering in anticipation. Thank you so much for this post and your thoughts.

6. I know you love dates Ann..I think Sticky Toffee Pudding stands out for Jacques and I..This looks good also..Rett..you are still making me smile!

7. Wish I had a slice or two to go with my coffee, right now.Again, many thanks for hosting!

8. Great party! Thanks for hosting!

Yummm…this looks fabulous Ann…L~xo

10. Jennifer says:

WOW this sounds sooo wonderful!!

11. Kate says:

Your photos are utterly gorgeous! Thanks for highlighting that recipe- I do love it to pieces and am glad someone else not only appreciates it too, but showcases it for others. Thank you for that.

12. Thank you all for participating this week.It is nice to see a few new faces.Hi Sage, fellow Canadian. I lived in Northern Ontario before moving to the west coast. 1993 to 1998 in Sault Ste. Marie.Kate, thanks again for the recipe.

13. Stella says:

This looks so delicious. I love date anything…